top of page

International Students

Whether you are just starting out in aviation or are looking to hour build or improve your skills, New Zealand can offer you flying conditions unrivalled in most countries around the world.

From different local forestry and farmland settings to challenging mountain ranges and a busy international airport on our doorstop, our location and topography will more than equip you to cope with the challenges that you may encounter back home. Our Chief Flying Instructor is also USA FAA and Australian CASA rated instructor so can also teach under these countries schemes and conduct flight reviews under that system as an added bonus.

The Costs

Not only is the New Zealand licence considered to be one of the best in the world, the New Zealand dollar exchange rate enables you to potentially halve the cost of flying in your home country. Please have a look at our Course Fees section and compare our rates but also feel free to contact us to discuss your individual requirements. As we are NZ Qualifications Authority approved, any money transferred in advance for your course is held in the Public Trust. In the event that our business stops trading, having advanced funds in the Public Trust ensures your money is kept securely until you have used it on flying and associated course costs.


We are a New Zealand Qualification Authority (NZQA) certified and registered training establishment. You will be able to apply and gain a study visa to enable you to study and live in New Zealand for the duration of your course.

As you can imagine there are strict rules for gaining a study visa and you will have to ensure you abide by the terms of your visa. If the course is for 12 weeks or more in duration, you will be required to study for 20hrs or more per week, have appropriate medical insurance for the length of your stay and there will be some small additional costs that we have to pay to the Ministry of Education for you to study that will be on-charged to you. Needless to say, being able to gain a study visa and learn how to fly in this gorgeous country is a huge bonus and we look forward to welcoming you here.

We have an enviable track record of training pilots internationally. Organising a visa is not as difficult as you may first believe. In the first instance, please visit New Zealand’s Department of Labour website to assess your own circumstances. We are well versed in the topic and more than happy to help with your individual questions.

Accommodation and Transport

Accommodation is relatively inexpensive and we have some local arrangements in place from as little as NZ$150.00 per week to help you settle in. We will help you find appropriate accommodation depending on your budget and preferred location. To give you some idea of options please visit , the New Zealand Herald or Destination Orewa Beach websites for the local news and places to stay.

North Shore Airfield is the closest to downtown Auckland and its suburbs only 10-20 minutes away but its not on a nearby bus or train route. If you are here for only a short period of time, then some very favorable “long term” rates can be sought by car rental companies. Alternatively it is relatively inexpensive to buy a run around car for the duration of your stay and then sell it at the end… you might even make a profit! would be the best place to also look for a car like that and there are some great deals to be had. Please contact us for further info if this is a requirement.


Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students

NSHT has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Copies of the Code are available on request from NZQA website at



Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on right to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Service and can be viewed on their website at


Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in NZ. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publically funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at


Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealander citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to NZ, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at


Medical and Travel Insurance

International students (including group students) must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while in NZ. We have teamed up with one of our most respected healthcare companies, Southern Cross, who offer affordable travel cover.

Application Process

Applying to join us is not as daunting as you may think. For ease we have an application checklist for you to print off and work through. You are able to study on one of our short courses on your normal tourist entry visa. if the course though is longer than 12 weeks, you will need to apply for a study visa through NZ Immigration and hence why we have attached the application checklist above for your assistance. As always, if you have individual questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch and ask.

Already Have A Pilot Licence?

Dependent on where you wish to fly for either pleasure or work, there is a requirement for you to change your licence to suit the country you want to fly in. In some cases that could mean some theory exams and/or a flight-test or review. If you want to convert your overseas licence to a New Zealand licence our staff will be able to answer your questions, so please do not hesitate to contact us. Also bear in mind that we can operate under the American FAA license too.

Converting your overseas license Private Pilot License:

Produce overseas license, logbook and current medical
Provided you meet our minimums, successfully complete NZ Biennial Flight Review (BFR) with A or B Cat instructor
Bring a Police Check from previously lived in countries over the past 5yrs a current household bill, plus passport
Pass ASL Language Proficiency Test
Complete application form, medical consent declaration form plus fit and proper person declaration forms and submit to CAA with fee


Commercial Pilot License:

Complete a NZ Class 1 medical
Meet minimum flight experience requirements for NZ CPL (see course details) and have log book assessed by Aviation Services Ltd (ASL)
Produce evidence of having completed 250 hrs as PIC on commercial operations under that countries jurisdiction***
Pass a written CPL Air Law exam
Successfully complete a BFR with A or B Cat flight instructor
Pass ASL Language Proficiency Test
Bring a Police Check from previously lived in countries over the past 5yrs a current household bill, plus passport
Complete application form, plus fit and proper person declaration forms, letter from ASL re experience, BFR, KDR from law exam and submit to CAA with fee
*** if you do not have 250 hrs on commercial operations you will need to sit all 6 NZ CPL theory exams, pass navigation flight test and pass a CPL flight test


Trans-Tasman Mutal Recognition Agreement:

Meet minimum requirements for NZ CPL (only valid for CPL not PPL)
Bring a Police Check from previously lived in countries from the past 5yrs, a current household bill, plus passport.
Must have a physical address in NZ
Pass ASL Language Proficiency Test
Complete CASA’s formal application form 452 and $50AUD for verification of a CASA License – refer to CASA website
Produce current CASA license, medical, proof of type ratings, identification, summary of experience

bottom of page